Reign of the Supermen #420: Waxworks Superman

Source: New York World's Fair waxworks (1964)
Type: ObjectThis ad appeared in a number of 1964's DC Comics, and it wasn't until I found Devlin Thompson's site that I saw a picture of the real exhibit it was based on, reproduced here:
Pretty cool, even if the Cyclops has little to do with Superman. "Hey, what do we have that our Superman dummy could fight?" "Well, I'm taking down that Odyssey display..." It's even imaginable that Superman and Lois used to be other people as they don't really look like any of the actors that portrayed them, except vaguely. And yet, I like it a lot better than other waxworks dummies I've seen because there's ACTION! Frequently, waxworks Supermen are just posed figures you can take your picture with, three-dimensional cardboard cut-outs, really.

If you're looking to find out more, I recommend the Superman Super Site's page on the subject, with additional photos of the wax Supermen based on George Reeves, Christopher Reeve and Brendan Routh.

Comments

Martin Gray said…
Thanks for the memories ... either that waxwork display came to the UK or was copied, as I saw Superman vs Cyclops at Madame Tussauds in the early Seventies. Thinking on, Batman and Robin were there, rather than Lois.