Reign of the Supermen #287: Superman 2050... and Beyond

Source: Superman: Where Is Thy Sting? GN (2001)
Type: Dream sequenceJ.M. DeMatteis has two modes of writing. There are the comedy stylings of the 80s Justice League, and then there are the boring philosophical tracts of projects like Where Is Thy Sting? Worthy, certainly, but wordy and dull. This graphic novel with art by Liam McCormack-Sharp is basically a long hallucination in which Superman proves to be undying. In 2050, Lois dies, which I guess provokes the mourning suit pictured above. It seems like the survivor's guilt of Krypton's demise is weighing on him, and so he also becomes the sole survivor of Earth...
...and then of the universe(!).
And in those billions of years, as he grieves for every soul, and every world, and every star, he always remembers Lois Lane. And she's what brings him back to reality, at the end of all things.

[flushpoint snark]Or maybe he'll just return to "play the field" a little.[/flushpoint snark]

Comments

I'd have to disagree with you on this one; this actually looks appealing to me. Sure it looks like another example of Superman whining and crying alot, but I think Dematheis was trying to show how alone Superman feels without Lois, and how much he loves her. I might see of my not-so-local comic store has this in stock.
Siskoid said…
Far from the worst Superman story I've ever read, but sometimes DeMatteis' philosophical over-captioning wears on me.
Jeff R. said…
From the title, I was expecting a 90s/00s update of Superman 2020. I suppose I should be thankful that there wasn't one...