Batman and the Outsiders #7 - Critical Analysis

It's baaa-aaack (again)!

I know I made you wait a whole year for the over-critical look at the sequel to Batman and the Outsiders #6 as our heroes ("our"? speak for yourself, guv) were left frozen in a block of SOLID LIQUID NITROGEN by the Cryonic Man, but you know, the ice preserved the characters. Or the issue may be a little freezer-burned. The cover, however, doesn't give us a clue:Instead of breaking out of a block of ice, they're busting up a random wall. Yes, it's the now-ubiquitous and over-used "pin-up" cover that I hate so much in today's comics. Back in 1983 however, it made me buy the comic. It was, in fact, my first issue of Batman and the Outsiders. Maybe I really wanted to know why Black Lightning was punching that trash can. Or who that guy shooting behind him and almost taking off Batman's hand was. And in truth, it's not as bad an issue as Mike Barr's previous efforts. It's pure superhero comics with none of the soap opera elements he's so bad at, and even Jim Aparo seems more comfortable doing action in secret underground lairs than he is with scenes of Halo going to school. So yeah, I waited so long because I was afraid it wouldn't be funny enough.

And yet, I also enjoy a challenge. And I have a funny feeling that the Outsiders will still come off badly. While I prep the first few pages of insightful and unfairly mean-spirited commentary (yes, another post later this morning), you may wish to reacquaint yourselves with the first part the Cryonic Man's saga:
Intro - Pages 1-3, 3-4, 5-7, 8-10, 10-14, 15-17, 17-19, 19-23
See you later!

Comments

Matthew Turnage said…
Yay! Outsiders! One of my favorite features here on the Blog.
Siskoid said…
It's all for you and Teebore. ;-)
Austin Gorton said…
Huzzah! The Outsiders are back! Did the Outsiders survive? Will they defeat the Cryonic Man? Will Halo get any dumber? Will Batman wake up and kick these losers to the curb?

I can't wait to find out.

You sir, just made my day/week/month!