Reign of the Supermen #182: The Broadway Superman

Source: It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman - the Broadway musical (1966)
Type: Stage
Move over cursed Spider-Man musical, our boy blue was there first. For three and a half months (and 129 performances) in 1966 to be exact.

According to Wiki: "The plot revolves around Superman's efforts to defeat Dr. Abner Sedgwick, a ten-time Nobel Prize-losing scientist who seeks to avenge the scientific world's dismissal of his brilliance by attempting to destroy the world's symbol of good. Additionally, Superman comes into romantic conflict with Max Mencken, a columnist for the Daily Planet newspaper, who resents Lois Lane's attraction to Superman." Well, there you have it.
Superman was played during that initial run by Bob Holiday (above), and Holiday also played him in the next year's open air revival (allowing for fancy crane work). Gary Jackson played Superman in the 1992 revival, Cheyenne Jackson in 2007's concert version, and Matt Cavenaugh (below) in 2010's revised version.
Listen to excerpts or buy the tracks!

Sample lyrics! (My choice is POW! BAM! ZONK!)
Don't panic, Lois, here I come.

Come on, pow! let's go, bam!
I need a little exercise.
Take that, pow! and that, zonk!
Let's see what you can do!

You boys! pow! are good, bam!
I like a crook who really tries.
Come on, pow! let's go, wham!
You'll learn a trick or two.

Gee, it's funny
But only a moment ago
Pow! Bam! Zonk!
I doubted myself
And all that was right
But now I see the light.

Oh no, whack! you don't! wham!
I'll show you babies who I am
Pow! Whack! Zonk! Crunch! Bam!

That's right! Oof! Not bad,
Karate can be lots of fun.
Good shot - thank you!
Grunt! that's one that I forgot.

Let's not quit now;
I'll let you know when I am done.
Come on, what's wrong?
You kids don't look so hot.

Gosh, I'm hungry;
I'd sure like a T-bone steak.
Pow! Bam! Zonk!
I haven't felt this good
Since Krypton knows when.
Don't you do that again.

Good night, sweet dreams,
So sorry to mess up your plan.
But now you know - Pow!
Can't fool around - Wham! Zow!
With Superman!

Want more? Complete lyrics! (with playgoer's commentary!)

And what's this? There was a television version? TO BE CONTINUED TOMORROW!

Comments

Larry E said…
Jack Cassidy as Superman? Given the type of role in he which he was usually cast, maybe the perfect Booster Gold or an inspiration for Hackman as Luthor. Definitely playing against his usual type and, as enjoyable as he was in most of his roles, should have been a must see.
Wish I could find a videotape of his performance.
Siskoid said…
I couldn't even google a proper picture of him in the suit, sadly.
Brad said…
Uh, no.

Cassidy played Max Mencken, the pencil-thin caricature of Walter Winchell. (One of the songs cut was titled "Dot, Dot, Dot" after WW's use of ellipses.) Cassidy just got top billing because he was the big name. (Married to Shirley Jones, father of David Cassidy.)

Mark Evanier has written about it – here (http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2006_11_21.html#012447) and here (http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2006_11_23.html)
Siskoid said…
That's why. Let me amend the post.