Kung Fu Fridays in April

Five Fridays in April, and the movies I've selected to be shown in my living room (and in one case, publicly) have a mild theme to them. Each is a vehicle for an Asian cinema star. Sammo Hung is our featured poster feature, though the pic comes from Martial Law and not his movie on the list. But it was such an iconic picture! So on tap this month:

The Magnificent Butcher - The Sammo Hung classic about the butcher character in Wong Fei Hung folklore. A good and no doubt amusing start to the month that gave us April Fool's.

Game of Death - Famous as the film during which Bruce Lee died, it is by all accounts, terrible. Since I'll be at an improv tournament that weekend, I will either have to watch it with a bunch of subtitle-angry kids (so I've chosen something we can heckle) or on a laptop screen (so the lower the production values the better). Game of Death it is. For my regular gang who will go without KFF that week, I recommend borrowing My Young Auntie or some other classic and watching THAT.

Ong Bak 2: The Beginning - Every Tony Jaa or Panna Rittikrai film we've ever seen has had a nonsense plot, but highly entertaining action, as well as reverence for Thai culture. I expect no less from this actually unrelated follow-up/prequel to Ong Bak.

P.T.U.: Police Tactical Unit - All I know is that we haven't watched a Hong Kong police movie in a long while and we're due. Key Hong Kong star: Simon Yam.

New Police Story - And then there's Jackie Chan. Don't often put him into the DVD player, but the Police Story movies have been grittier than most of his output, and has generally garnered a strong response from my group. The adventures of Ka Kui continue!

And that's what I've got planned for the start of spring. Follow along every week in This Week in Geek.

Comments

smacky said…
I loved New Police Story! I know he's getting up there in years and can't do the kind of movies he did 20 years ago, but it's depressing to see him become a Disney family comedy regular. This one was a return to form.
Siskoid said…
I agree, I have absolutely no interest in his Hollywood output.