This Week in Geek (28/09-4/10/09)

Buys'n'Gifts

Added a couple of wuxia movies for upcoming Kung Fu Fridays: An Empress and the Warriors with Donnie Yen, and Curse of the Golden Flower with Chow Yut Fat's Prodigious 'Stache!

Doesn't get any better than that.

"Accomplishments"

DVDs: Flipped 30 Rock Season 3, which means that for the first time this year, I'll be able to follow it every week with Season 4. The show's only getting better in my opinion. The DVD includes commentary on selected episodes (good fun), some deleted scenes, making of elements and the full table read of the season finale. Plus: Muppets!








Not flipped, because I don't flip stuff that was lent me, but finished Rome Season 1 (thanks Carolynn). I'll admit to getting into it only slowly (and hating the cheesy title sequence), but by episode 5 or so, I was in deep. It's well made with strong attention to believable history and culture, and the Vorenus/Pullo pairing is fast becoming my favorite "buddy team" ever. There are many extras in the boxed set, but I'll only review them when and if I buy my own copy. No spoilers, kids, I've started Season 2.





Kung Fu Friday's selection was King Boxer, AKA Five Fingers of Death, the first kung fu movie widely distributed in the West (2 months before Enter the Dragon), and though it's premise of rival martial arts schools seems like déjà vu by now, its structure and rather modern camera work are surprising. And man, when that Ironside theme pipes up (which mean Lo Leih uses his iron palm power), it gets you all a-frenzy. That's some pretty efficient movie-making, and Quentin Tarantino testified to it along with the usual critics in their enthusiastic commentary track. The DVD also includes a few interviews with the directors and critics, and some trailers of movies I NOW WANT TO SEE!

Comics: People following my Twitter got their money's worth this week (yes, I'm aware it's a free service) as I vowed to read at least 5 comics every day (often more). Pretty well through my "priority" pile, but the non-priority stuff has grown to more than a hundred books. So I really gotta keep that rhythm up.

Hyperion to a Satyr entries this week include:
Act I Scene 2 - The Wedding Banquet according to Classics Illustrated
Act I Scene 2 - Enter Hamlet according to the Text

New Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG cards: 23, all from Genesis of the Daleks.

Someone Else's Post of the Week
Kevin Church has a new recurring feature called There's Gonna Be Sex Tonight, just in time for Halloween.

Comments

'Curse of the Golden Flower' is a great great epic of Shakesperean (sp) proportions. The invasion of the palace pitting the 'gold' army against the 'silver' army is mythical in terms of visual spectacle. And Chow just rocks the trone - cold hearted bastard!
Siskoid said…
You've got me encouraged to place it in the KFF rotation soon!