Spaceknights: The Next Next Generation

In 2000, Marvel published a 5-issue limited series sequel to Rom that was met with resounding silence, winning the dubious honor of being their lowest seller that year. Doesn't sound promising, does it?

I've decided to push Spaceknight Saturdays 5 weeks more (inching towards my threeversary on December 9th) and take into account the story of Rom's sons, warts and all.

Speaking of warts, though the series was the brainchild of artist Chris Batista, Marvel brought in Jim "Cosmic" Starlin to write it. Here's what Starlin had to say about it (interview with Universe HQ):

"I thought [Rom] was a pretty dumb character back in the seventies. I just took on the job of scripting the series so that I could pay for some parts for my boat."

Yikes!

Join us tomorrow for the work-for-hire, phoning-it-in splendor that is Spaceknights #1!

Comments

Matthew Turnage said…
Wow, I didn't realize it was Marvel's lowest seller that year. I loved Chris Batista's art, but as you say the story did not excite. I look forward to your reviews.
Austin Gorton said…
Bring on the Starlin half-assery!
chiasaur11 said…
Man, how can they call themselves Spaceknights without mitten hands and robot faces?

I'm already prepared for the worst.

Bring on the failure to meet even those expectations!
Prime Director said…
I think there's been a mix up. Marvel didn't publish a Spaceknights limited series.

Never happened. Don't believe the lies.

Also: there were only three Star Wars movies, two Godfather movies and one Highlander movie.

And there are FOUR lights.
Martin Léger said…
Haha! I think I've seen this before. I think my cousin had it wwwwaayy back. (hey I was 10 at the time)
After having looked at all this info. compliments of Sisko i think what i didn't like the most was how the spaceknights don't seem to be cyborgs anymore. they deviated from a very basic concept of the Spaceknight legacy. but then again george lucas did a fine job with all that mediclorians and the Force BS. anyways, these "spaceknights" might as well have been something out of Robotech something. plus i hated the way they looked to much like actual medievil knights and in general the whole Camelot look wasn't working for me. the Masters of the Universe series pulled off that ancient/advanced tech. hybrid theme much better.