This Week in Geek (2-8/02/09)

Buys

None. I was a little busy either being away or blogging like mad so it wouldn't show I was away. All improv-related, of course.

"Accomplishments"

DVDs: Flipped Primeval Vol.1 which contains the first and second series of the plucky UK sf program about temporal anomalies letting prehistoric animals out into our world. Hey, I liked it, if only because it was made by the same people behind the Walking with... documentary series. The show walks the line between old school episodic adventure and Lost-style deepening serial mysteries, but is probably more of the former. 2 of the 13 episodes have commentaries, and there's a good, long making of for each series. I'll be looking for future series.

Improv: My improv troupe had a show this week of such interest to this blog that you can expect a longer post about it when I can get my hands on the pictures taken of the evening. What we do: Completely improvised 3-act plays. We each work on various elements on our own - sets, costumes, music, props, etc. - and improvise the basic mise en scène about an hour before the doors open. Then, we ask the public to assign us some random element. Each play is of a different genre (though most are comedies). We've done Greek tragedy, Postmodern, Tim Burtenesque fantasy, a western and a musical, for example. This time: A superhero comedy, complete with special effects. Here's the poster (in French) featuring our special guest, Christian Essiambre, a young actor from the region who's gone on to bigger projects in the big city (and a good friend) and who is high energy and hilarious:
I won't give away the details until I post about it properly, but it was a roaring success. Move over Iron Man and The Dark Knight! (Poster image totally pilfered from Alex Ross' Super-Obama.)

Someone Else's Post of the Week
New on my watch list: De's Best Picture Derby. De plans to watch and review every single motion picture nominated for Best Picture by the Academy from 1928 to today. That's a massive undertaking - the kind of thing I'm not a stranger to - and is both informative and entertaining. I can't wait til he gets to films I've actually seen, but the look into early cinema is interesting nonetheless.

Comments

De said…
I guess the heat is on for me to deliver now :-)

In all seriousness, thanks for the kind words. I'll do my best to keep the content worthy of your praise.
Colin said…
Can we expect new cards next weekend?
Siskoid said…
Stuff from Space Pirates seems likely!
Colin said…
Yay!

Not one of my favourite stories, but it's one of the best fits of the set, thematically, and it'll be interesting to see what cool toys it adds to the mix.

Plus, more Troughton =/= wrong.