Timeslip: Iron Man

After Marvel Age and before the Previews insert, there was Marvel Vision - Marvel's trade magazine. Flashier than Marvel Age, some might call it gaudy, but it had actual behind the scenes content and my store gave it out for free. My favorite feature and the reason I kept them (though I don't have them all), was Timeslip.

Timeslip was a two-page experiment in which today's hottest artists reimagined Marvel characters as if Stan Lee had just created them and handed out the assignment. In #4 (my first), Guy Davis got an assignment (click to enlarge):

And here's the completed work:
I, for one, like it a lot. I don't know how steampunk Iron Man could have interacted with the rest of the Marvel Universe, but it's a great retro look. Davis would certainly manage to make Iron Man both funny to look at, and slightly creepy.

The real question is: Is this rendition better than the Iron Man of the time? (April 96) Let's look, shall we?
Anyone remember teenage Iron Man, brought in from an alternate timeline to help fight the real Tony Stark who had just gone traitor? This Marvel Vision also advertised a big change for this character thanks to the repatriation of Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld... Heroes Reborn!
So which is best? Davis' stove pipe Iron Man, or Lee's organ pipe Iron Man? You make the call!

Comments

Matthew Turnage said…
Lee Iron Man all the way. I thought Iron Man was the most well done of the Heroes Reborn titles, and it brought me back after the horrid Crossing / Teen Tony era.
Anonymous said…
And the difference between the first 2 images are?!? (I think you posted the same image twice there, lad)
Anonymous said…
"I don't know how steampunk Iron Man could have interacted with the rest of the Marvel Universe, but it's a great retro look."

Yeah...I like to call that look "The Iron Giant". As in, a direct rip-off of the robot from the animated movie "The Iron Giant", which was in early production about that same time.

Hmmm.....
Siskoid said…
So who ripped off who?

Doc: I'm an idiot, and now it's all better.